Marriage

{via}

A couple of weeks ago at work, one of my coworkers asked me a question that’s been in my mind a lot.

Do you think you’ll ever want to get married again?

I didn’t even hesitate when I said yes, of course I want to get married again!
I keep trying to figure out how exactly to explain how I feel. Some have said to me, “Well, you must have just made a mistake, you married the wrong guy.” But that isn’t true. At the time, Dustin was what I wanted. Things weren’t perfect. At the time, though, we were both going in the same direction. We both wanted the same things. I loved him and he loved me. I thought that was enough.
I’m not going to air dirty laundry. I won’t say what happened to change things. I will say Dustin hurt me. And I’ll say that I realized that at some point we stopped heading in the same direction. I tried to pretend everything was okay. At some point, though, you just need to cut your losses. Did I want to be stuck with just okay for the rest of my life? No.
Does that mean, though, that my first marriage has ruined marriage as a whole for me? Of course not! Sometimes things just don’t work out the way that you think they’re going to but that doesn’t mean that you should just give up altogether.

I think this quote kind of sums up how I feel:

“There are people we treat wrong, and later, we’re prepared to
treat other people right.
Perhaps this sounds mercenary, but I feel
grateful for these trial relationships,
and I would like to think it all
evens out –
surely, unknowingly, I have served as practice for other
people.”
~Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld
I learned lessons from Dustin. And I hope he learned from me as well. Although some of those lessons really hurt, they didn’t crush my dreams.
I’ve picked myself up. And maybe one day practice will make perfect.
P.S. I’m hosting a Scentsy giveaway! Check it out here, you know you want to!

Comments

I LOVE that quote, Krysten. And I think it's wonderful that you view your time with Dustin as a learning experience, and haven't allowed it to ruin your view on love. :)

it takes a lot of courage to cut your losses, realize that life is too short to live without happiness and move on… even if that means finding happiness with someone else.

Just because the first one didn't work out doesn't mean the second one won't. You learn from your mistakes and I suspect it will help make your next marriage even stronger.

That is a great quote, Krysten. And I'm so very happy you haven't given up on love and marriage. I think you're absolutely right. All relationships in life teach us extremely valuable lessons and it's important we learn from them. You always have such a beautiful, positive outlook on life and love. It's something to admire :)

it's nice you still have such an open mind about relationships and love. some people can become so bitter when things don't work out as planned, but i agree that sometimes, it's just not meant to be forever. but that doesn't mean it wasn't meant to be for a little while.

It just amazes me what a great attitude you've had throughout. You really are ten times more mature than I would ever be. I would be kicking and screaming but you're so much classier than I. Love that.

I'm happy to see your divorce hasn't "ruined" love for you. You have such a mature attitude about it. It's very nice to see!

Thanks for being so open and honest. <3

I love that you are able to look forward to what might be instead of just focusing on the pain of the past! We can definitely learn from those and go on to be better people, if we allow ourselves.

I love this attitude! & I noticed it too! I remember all your positive comments on my wedding and such & unfortunately some bloggers who were going through stuff when I got engaged weren't to nice! SO I knew you weren't giving up on marriage & you're a sweetheart =D

I love your positive attitude! I've been hurt by a boyfriend that I THOUGHT I was going to marry. Just when I thought that I was at my lowest, my future husband came into the picture and the rest is history.

Dude, I hope practice makes perfect because I don't want to be making the same mistakes as I did with my ex-boyfriends. That'd be a serious problem.