The Last Time I Was Someone’s Girlfriend

{via}

The last time I was someone’s girlfriend, I was a very different person. I’ve always been the type of girlfriend to want to be joined at the hip with whoever I was dating. It wasn’t because I was jealous or needy, just because I always felt like a boyfriend and girlfriend should want to spend all their time together.

The last time I was someone’s girlfriend, I’d had relationships that were always relatively dramatic. I’m kind of a drama queen and something in me always wanted to have dramatic relationships. Maybe it’s because I read too many books or watch too much TV but to me I always thought that a good relationship had a certain amount of drama.

The last time I was someone’s girlfriend, I let things slide in order to keep the relationship. Obviously no relationship is perfect but I allowed things to happen that should have been warning signals. I kept the relationship because I didn’t want to lose the person I was with, because I was scared of the pain of breaking up, being alone and starting over.

Boyfriend will be moving out here in a month. Sure, we’re already in a relationship now but something about him being so close makes our relationship feel more cemented. Because of this, it got me to thinking about the kind of girlfriend I am. About how I act when I’m in a relationship.

Obviously, I want to be able to spend more time with him, I  want our relationship to become strong and grow and I want to figure out how to compromise and love and have a good, mature, loving relationship. However, this time around I don’t want to make the same moves that I did when I was younger.

Even though I can’t wait to spend more time together, I’ve learned to really value my time alone. I’m finding that it’s necessary to have time to yourself and I want to make sure that even though my instinct tells me I want to be around him all the time I also need to spend time with myself too.

I feel like I’ve grown up a lot and I think that I’ve realized that there doesn’t need to be drama to have a good relationship. In fact, it’s better when there isn’t drama. I’m fairly positive that I have a good handle on that one but every now and again my inner drama queen does try to make a comeback. I need to make sure to tell her to go away if she appears.

Most importantly, this time around I’m not going to let things slide. My relationship with boyfriend is good, solid, but I am never again going to be the kind of woman to let things slide because of my fear of being alone.

The last time I was someone’s girlfriend, I didn’t know what I do now. This time around I plan on doing it right.

P.S. Don’t forget to enter my 1,000th post giveaway!

Comments

It's definitely hard to take a look at yourself and know what you do right and what you do wrong. Good for you for being able to step back and see that! Excited that things are going well for you.

PS haven't been commenting because I couldn't use Name/URL anymore 😉 When you use Google Apps it makes it difficult but they finally switched it so I can use it to comment, woohoo! So I'm back!

definately need alone time. Sometimes when hubs wants to go to a pub and/or see a band, i just stay home and relish the fact that i have the trash TV/blogs/chocolate to myself.

Being away from each other can be just as healthy as being with each other. I think relationships need a good balance of independent life as well as together life. It's when you are defined by your relationship because don't have much of anything else going on that I think spells trouble. But also know it's common and natural to want to spend a lot of time with a partner when the relationship is new. That's what everyone does and hopefully your friends recognize this and give you a pass. Either way, sounds like you are happy!!

Great post girl! It's important to recognize that the hard times in life are trials that we should learn from so that we don't make the same mistakes twice. Good luck with the relationship..just be yourself! :o)

So I've been a follower for a while but for some reason your posts never showed up in my Blogger dashboard. I just got on bloglovin though so I'll be seeing your posts through there.

Also, I was reading your 200 things about me (in your About Me section) & I was amazed – I had a breast reduction when I was 19 too! And I would TOTALLY do it again in a heartbeat! There aren't many of us out there so I guess I just wanted to say..solidarity sister! :o) Have a great day!

A man who loves you will keep letting you have your 'alone time.' Relationships seem to work best when you both keep your separate sense of identity. Excited for you! :)

I love this. The quote in the beginning sums it all up so nicely. And I also think you are in such a mature, good place right now with your boyfriend… that everything else in your past kind of led you to this place.

Good for you! I made more than a few mistakes the last time I was someone's girlfriend, for the sake of trying to keep the failing relationship together. I vow not to make the same mistakes the next time around.