Love Actually

Last night after dinner was eaten I went back down to my apartment to watch one of my favorite Christmas movies, Love Actually.  I don’t know what it is about this offbeat, sometimes crass movie that just fills me with the Christmas spirit.

I adore the story of Daniel and Sam.  It is so sad when Daniel loses his wife, especially having to raise his wife’s son  And the way they bond over Sam’s first love is just so darn sweet.  The airport scene just makes my heart leap.
And there’s Jamie and Aurelia.  Oh my goodness, from the minute they meet you just know their story is going to have a happy ending.  And when Jamie learns Portuguese and goes to find her it’s just so darn cute.
I think my favorite couple from the movie is The Prime Minister (I looked him up on IMDB, he doesn’t have a name in the movie!) and Natalie (who, by the way, I can’t figure out why they call her fat throughout the movie.  I think she’s gorgeous).  I just love how nervous they both are around each other when it’s obvious that they’re so meant to be.
But of course this scene is the one that both makes my heart melt and break all at the same time.  Every time I watch it I wish that things would be different for this couple.  But this movie isn’t all perfect happy endings and you can’t deny the sweetness of this.
Oh this movie.  It’s a wonderful Christmas movie.

What are your favorite moments from this movie?

Comments

Oh, I love this movie too! I didn't watch it this year but might have some catching up to do sometime this week as I noticed it is on Netflix. Hope you had a great day yesterday. For me, it was quiet but very fun!

Loulou Downtown

I love how I just discovered your blog and the first post I see is about Love Actually (actually I just blogged about it, too!) I also love the Sarah and Karl story, even though they don't exactly get a happy ending either. Sam and Joanna are precious, though. Not many people would run through an airport just to say "hi" and get kissed on the cheek. Such a great film.

OMG why didn't she just run away with him? i would if someone hot showed up with a sign like that.
    he films the Walking Dead here in Atl and I'm constantly on the lookout for him. Stalk much? Yes, yes I do.

I LOVE this movie! I love when Jamie and Aurelia jump in the water to save his book and all the scenes where they're talking to each other, but in their own languages. I also think that the Prime Minister's name is David because Natalie always slips and calls him that, right? And then she's all "oh shit, I fucked up on my first day!"

It's one of my favorite movies, period. I lent it to a friend last year, and still don't have it back, and I'm feeling terribly lost without it this holiday season. It's just so good! And the PM's name is definitely David. Not sure if they ever say his last name, but Natalie absolutely slips and calls him David during their first meeting.

I love "Love, Actually"- it always makes me laugh, and cry. The bit with Billy Mack singing the song about Christmas is so hilarious, especially when he's giving interviews about it. I really love the part where he goes to his manager's house on Christmas Eve to tell him that he loves him. Also love when the Prime Minister is going door-to-door looking for Natalie and ends up singing carols. Awesome!

Just watched this a few weeks ago, but now I'm thinking I'd like to see it again.

PS: The part with Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman always gets to me. I feel so sad for her, and SO ANGRY at him.

Totally forgot about this one, but will have to add it to the list. Thanks for reminding me about it! (I'm always a sucker for a good chick flick/love story).

I love everything about this movie. I saved it to be the last movie that I watch for the holiday season. It was nice because I watched it in my New York hotel room by the fireplace on Christmas Eve.