September 11th, 2001

Ten years ago today I was a senior in high school.  My boyfriend had broken up with me two days before and my biggest worry was having to find out that he was dating someone else.

It was towards the end of my first class, sociology, when my teacher was asked to come into the hallway.  When he came back in he said that something was happening in New York City.  They weren’t sure what yet.  They thought maybe it was a bomb.

It was in my second class, advanced English, that the principal of our school came on the intercom system to address us all.  It was in that moment that I stopped worrying about my ex-boyfriend.  Our breakup didn’t seem at all important.

Ten years have passed and yet I still get teary eyed thinking about September 11th.  Ten years and although I haven’t lost anyone personally – not that day or the war that came later – I still feel the pain of our nation.

I can’t believe it has been ten years.

Today my thoughts are with everyone that lost someone that day.  Today my thoughts are with all those lost that day.  And today my thoughts are with every single person that has lost someone since then due to what happened on that day.

I hope each of you can take a moment today to remember what happened on this day ten years ago.  Whether you live in the United States or not I feel as if September 11th is a day that changed EVERYONE.

I remember.

Comments

That is a day than we all will remember forever, and you will always remember where you were at the time… I was driving to the post office and they said a plane had crashed into the WTC and at first I thought it was a bad joke… I didn't believe it until I saw it on TV!

I know how you feel I am from England and I was in work that day and someone put the tv on and the WTC was on fire and then I saw the 2nd plane hit.

I think the world changed from that day and no one ever felt safe again.

My thoughts are with evryone who lost someone and for the people that died xx

this day is heavily in my thoughts and i pray for all the families who lost someone during it's horrendous happenings. sure did put a lot of things into perspective for me too Krysten. i remember feeling like all those lost souls were circling the planet as it occurred. sad moment in history indeed.

beautiful tribute, many blessings! ♥

I remember hearing on the radio that a plane crashed in NYC while driving to school- my second year of college. And then when I got to campus and saw the huge crowd watching TV in the atrium it was unreal. Classes were obviously cancelled and we were all glued to the TV all day. But I'll tell you– the first time I walked through downtown Chicago and just feeling dwarfed by the sky scrapers and huge buildings– I got a little anxiety from it because it brought me back to seeing people on TV running on 9/11. This is one of those things that will make me teary my whole life.

Beautifully written post. I remember that day, too–I had friends who worked in the vicinity of the towers and I remember frantically calling everyone to find out if they were okay. I was living with my folks at the time and one of their neighbors was a NYC firefighter who lost his life that day. It's hard to forget but it's nice to see New York rebuild all these years later.

XOXO

i still get goosebumps when it is talked about. when i went to new york city and walked past where that happened, my heart was heavy for those whose lives were taken that day. our country suffered greatly that day but we will never forget what happened to us that day.