All Work and No Play

{via}

So… I’m agonizing over something.

You see, I work every weekend.  It’s kind of awful because I feel like I miss out on fun things and Dustin has weekends off so I miss out on time with him.  However, weekend mornings is when I make the most money so I try really hard to not be too upset about it.  After all the money issues we’ve had I’m thankful for the income.

The thing is, summer is coming up.  I want to DO things.  I was to go to baseball games and the drive in and spend the day in the pool drinking drink with my husband and brother and friends.  I don’t want to spend my entire summer working.

I’ve already requested off a weekend and a day this summer.  The first weekend is in June for the pool party we’re throwing for Dustin and Ryan’s birthdays.  The other day is a Sunday in August when I’m doing my boudoir shoot.  And all I can think is how much money I’m going to be missing out on.  Which is kind of awful.

So what do I do?  Life is short.  Money isn’t everything.  I want to have fun this summer.  I mean, who knows how many summers I have left before we can have kids?  But at the same time the idea of missing out on that money makes me feel so stressed out.

What would you do?  How do you decide when enough is enough, when you just need to stop working so hard and have fun?

Comments

I guess you just have to decide what your goals are. If you'd rather live in the short term, than deal with the loss of income. If you'd rather plan for kids, house, etc., then you have to accept the loss of fun.

It sucks!

I'd say find a happy medium; is there such a thing in this case? Can you take some time off for fun but work plenty in the mean time to make up for lost income?

Don't worry about having fun, you'll have plenty of it this summer! Plan ahead and save some money so that when you do take days off you can not worry about not having the cash – cause you already have it stored away!

I know how you feel! We've got one last summer before my husband goes back to school and while I'm hoping to enjoy it, we need to save money for the big move. Too bad we've got a few weddings out of state planned :/ It's a constant push/pull.

Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do. I also work every single weekend and I work the majority of the time at night. I pretty much high five my husband as he is coming home from work and don't see him until I return which is 10pm and by that time we are going to bed. lol. But with our extra income we were able to save enough to take 2 weeks off and head to Florida with my boys. So with the few months I haven't seen a lot of him I get to spend 2 wonderful weeks with him.

I say try and make the most out of your time off you are given! Once you know your schedule, plan ahead and do things for those days! and I agree with decide what your goals are? Would you rather be makign more money? Or would you rather have a really fun summer? For me, I would rather make more money, but that is just the place I am right now in my life. when you work morning shift on the weekends, can you meet up with your friends/family afterwards? I bet you will still be able to enjoy the night! that is what i would do in the summer when i worked crazy shifts. I would meet up with them before work or after work. It was really nice. Helped me not focus on work so much too.

You work all the time, so of course you should be able to take some time off, even if it means you will be missing out on some money. But as you said money isn't everything, so have some fun too:)

I think you need to prioritize. Sometimes you need to forsake certain things – such as fun – to afford the cost of…living, I suppose. Of course, a little compromisation every now and then doesn't hurt either. Maybe Dustin could take a few days off, as well; and between the two of you, you'd be able to have some fun this summer! :)

I think you should maybe take one weekend of a month or maybe just one Saurday or one Sunday rather than the whole weekend if possible and then make the most of those days. I don't know what your weeknights are like but you can always find fun stuff to do then as well. Good luck!

I can really relate to this. I used to work weekends (8AM to 4PM) and I felt like I was missing out on all the fun weekend stuff! My days off were Tuesday and Wednesday and I would try to plan extra fun things to do then, to make up for missing out on Friday and Saturday nights. Would your husbands schedule allow for you to do this?

I know exactly what you mean, and I feel for you girl–I work at a job where I'm expected to work weekends because they are the absolutely busiest days of our week, but that means I'm missing out on spending time with Chad. That also means that I don't get to have a normal schedule like everyone else and I miss out on parties, etc. So I either have to miss out on everything or request off every other weekend which makes the boss none to pleased.

What I try to do especially with the summer is pick a couple days in the weekend to get some time off. There could be something planned or nothing. I just feel like I need some time with Chad and some time off work. Unfortunately, I don't think I empathize with you totally, because I'm on an hourly pay and I don't depend on tips. But all I know is that having time by yourself and not at work is equally as important (if not more) as earning a paycheck. I'm hoping that both you and I find a balance in this!

I think it's all about finding a balance. It's hard, but you'll be happier for it. We're still working on figuring out how to do this too!

Krysten! Remember that song that you downloaded for your ipod because you saw it on my blog? Did you know that the words from the picture above are from a song by that same band?! It's excelent! It talks about exactly this. You should listen if you've never heard it!
    Are there any other job options that you know of? Maybe something with weeknights and less weekends?

When I realize that I'm soooo busy that I have NO time for fun, that's when I take a step back for ME time. IT's tough b/c I'm sure while you're working hard, it is paying off – but you'll drive yourself crazy that way!

So take some time for yourself, and remember, Oscar Wilde said, "Life is too important to be taken seriously."

hugs!

the hubbers and i did this arrangement for about 9 months. we had one day off together per month. it was sad, and i had to do so much stuff by myself.
    for us, we realized that we were being forced to spend too much time apart (after 2 years of that in Army, enough is enough!).
    can you work early morning shifts? maybe if you get done by midday you can still have time to have weekend summer adventures…?

It's a constant balancing act! Money is definitely important and needed but you're right not to let it get in the way of things that really make you happy!

I don't know when you know enough is enough, but it just feels right somehow. Life is a process of making and spending money – the in between should be worth it!

xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

I'm on the life is too short wagon! Can you cut back in hours? Seriously last summer was the BEST summer of my life. I'm a home body but my boyfriend insisted we go & do…& we went & Did….and I don't regret it! Was kinda exhausting at times but the memories ah-mazing :) Even calling in sick for a pool/spa/drinks day it was awesome! hehe
    My advice-Go Do :)
    XO

Having that extra income is great but you need that time for yourself too. Take a couple of weekends off this summer, you won't regret it and after you do it a few times, you'll feel less guilty!

Girl, I totally hear you. Right now I'm doing school and work and it's pretty hectic but this Summer I really just want to take a break from it all and have a little fun :)
    xoxo
    Olivia

i like the suggestion to work only one day on the weekend, saturday or sunday. i grew up in a religion that kept saturday sabbath, so work places always gave me saturday off, but then had me work every sunday. it was never a problem. or if you have to work all weekend for financial reasons, you could just run around and enjoy all those fun things during the week without the crazy crowds.

wow you work all week? Or do you have some days off during the week? So sad you are in this situation, try to find the good balance between work and time off!

I don't really know your situation, but if money is tight I would take the extra shifts. Sure you don't want to miss out on summer but if you're anything like me you'll just end up stressing and not enjoying.

I do feel your pain, though, as getting my book finished is taking up all my extra time. Not so bad in the winter but no fun with the nicer weather.

Plus, you can always take advantage of your days off (even during the week) and evenings. Wish you luck!

You know, having always worked weekends I can tell you that it does suck not having fun time with friends and family. But, money troubles are my enemy and I would rather miss out now and not have to worry about money. That said, you do need a break. And the moment when you realize you would rather be making money than being with family is a good indicator that a break a definitely needed.

I am all about enjoying now but also making sure that everything is in balance. I totally think you need to make time for little breaks and having fun:) Happy Thursday, darling

Do you guys do a budget? I would do that, and then make some comparisons if you tweaked your hours or only worked every other weekend. That's a hard choice…but just remember your happiness is important too! Best of luck my dear

Have fun, enjoy yourself, don't worry about the money. That's what we do – the work (and the money) will come. I've decided that I think too much and if I just let it be and enjoy myself, things have a funny way of working themselves out :)Just quickly, last year when Patrick was moving he was worried about finding work, so he took this great job and now other offers are still rolling in that would have meant more money and more time together…so with the benefit of hind site if he didn't worry and just moved, we would have still been okay. Enjoy yourself Krysten xoxoxoxo

I would find a more upscale resto than Perkins if you want to make better money. Then you could work a few weekdays and maybe just Sat nights. I am thinking about doing that this summer also but have no experience serving

It seems like you have to decide where the break is between weekends and money. Like how many days off are worth not making that money, and if it's only a few then you work most of those days. The summer is fun, but sometimes you have to work hard now so you can have a longevity of fun summers in the future.

It's not easy to have a schedule that's off from your sweethearts, but you guys will get through this. Plan your days off carefully, and encourage Dustin to take some time off too, so that you guys can enjoy each other. If you save smart now, you won't feel such a big pinch if you take a Saturday morning off now and then-I promise!

Hm, maybe you should think about how many weekends you can "afford" to take off and try to take at least a weekend off each month of the summer. Then it'll be a little vacation right at home.

Like others said… think of things you want to do and save money up for them ahead of time, so that if you miss a weekend you won't be stressed out about that loss of money. But I will tell you- have as much fun as you can now because once you have kids it's not so much the money that freaks you out, it's the guilt of doing fun stuff and missing out on cute kid time. :)

this is a tough one. You really have to analyze your budget and see how much time you can afford to take off so you can cover your essential bills. Life is short and you wanna be able to spend time with your friends and family so maybe you have to skip a latte (as they say) and put that towards time off

That's tricky. I guess it depends on what's most important to you at this very time in your life… memories to make this summer or some extra money that will help make memories in the future.

Not an easy decision, I am sure!

I say treat yourself once a month. I work two jobs, so I'm very familiar with not having any time off in the summer to play. It's hard to take the time off without feeling guilty, but once you're having fun, it's hard to regret!

I wish I knew because I'm in the same situation right now. I seriously overwhelmed myself with way too many websites that I need to do. I'm about to lose it and unplug from life. Hoorah to a mini-getaway to Las Vegas this weekend but yeah, I feel you. I keep reminding myself that it's for now and won't be forever. Like they say, we work hard when we're young so we can enjoy ourselves when we're older (not too old).

I've only recently started leaning more towards "fun", I used to choose money and security every time in the past.

But I have to say that choosing experiences instead of money is always worth it (for me anyway). You will never get this summer back, but you can always make more money, you know?

in my job our busiest days are weekends/bank holidays/sunny days..so when everyone else is having fun, i'm slogging it. But i do make sure that i get some time off. And i have to go away, otherwise i get called in or feel guilty for not being there.
    I don't know how your holiday system works over there but we get a certain amount of weeks paid holiday. If Dustin does, maybe he could take some weekdays off when you arent working and you can have 'weekday weekends'