This year I really want to keep this quote in mind.  I am someone who is rarely ever present; my head is always either on the past or the future.

I really want to learn how to be more present.  You only have one life, you know?  What’s life going to be like if I spend all my time worrying about things that already happened or that haven’t happened yet?  Life will pass by and then that will be that.

Hopefully I can stick to this goal.  I want to appreciate each day as it happens.  I don’t want them to float on by.

How about all of you?  Are you present?  Or are you like me, concentrating more on the past and future?

Comments

i think i have a healthy balance of all 3….it's good to be "present" but you need to set goals for the future and never forget the memories of the past (those past experiences made you who you are today)

I concentrate on both the past and the future far too much…. I'm not very good at enjoying the present. I always feel like I should be doing something differently. This is a wonderful quote and I could certainly bear to keep it in mind.

I don't think much about the past but I'm always one step ahead of myself, drives me crazy. I've been photographing my burnt toast (keeps happening) for a future post about being present. I can't just stand there and wait for it, I wander off to fill in that 2 minutes with another task – crazy. I'm learning to take more still moments and be with them, enjoy them.

Yes, it's important to be in the moment and be present. Being a military spouse, i've learned to do that well since we're without our loved ones often. Great quote too. XX

Past is the past – I don't focus on that. Future is good to think about and try to plan… but I feel like I'm a present person – and sometimes it's not easy… so remember that it's okay to have a 'past' day. I think this is awesome that you are focusing on doing this!

I really like this quote. I often spend too much time thinking about how I could've done differently in the past, or how I would rather have things in the future… I have such a great life right now and I often forget to focus on my current happiness! Thanks for sharing this quote, I really needed to hear this again! :)

I definitely focus more on the future. I'm hoping that it's mostly because I'm in school right now and that's the way I've trained myself to think (when is the next test, when is the next break, when do I graduate…). Hopefully, once I'm done, I can focus more on the NOW…hopefully :-)

First time reader, found you through dancingthroughdc. Like your site design. I am so buried in work ALL the time I don't think I think about the past, present or future. I'm too stressed to enjoy anything! Being a 20 something lawyer – what was I thinking? So I'm just like you I guess, trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. Not this. Look forward to reading more from you. Good luck with the apartment. Cheers, T.

I'm the same as you. I guess I need to go back and read everyone's comments so I can learn too. Even if I'm doing something, I don't always enjoy it fully until I think about it later. Always living in the past!

I try to be in the present but you know what? Blogging definitely keeps me in the past and the future. I don't know if it's a good thing or not. But at any rate, I love this quote and I definitely find it true.

Such a wonderful way to make each day meaningful. I agree with Mrs Branflake, blogging does you keep you pretty in tune with the past and the future, but I hope we can all really enjoy right now.

i've worked really hard to be in the present too. i tend to live there all the time, and rarely reminisce the good memories or plan for the future. it gets tough for my partner who likes to make plans and have life goals. so we're learning how to compliment {or at least tolerate} each other. :) that's a whole new tricky component to the whole past-present-future issue. oh life… :)

I think this quote is something that would also be good for me to keep in mind! I tend to worry more about the future, whether it's later that day or a year from now.

I definitely think about the past from time to time at the most random moments, but my motto this year is "No looking back". To say yes to more opportunities without fear and experience everything I can. We only get this life, I want to make the most of it!

You should try yoga. It's great for centering yourself and keeping in the present! The class I go to has been amazing even in my most stressful moments :)

I really love that quote! I am so guilty of focusing too much on my regrets of the past or too much on what I hope for the future. I need to put more emphasis on the here and now, enjoying each moment I have. :) Thanks for this reminder!

i definitely find myself very much in the future… i'm such a dreamer and i'm always thinking about what i can do in the next month, year, decade… i'm always conjuring up ideas, hopes, dreams – and ways to get there and achieve them. it's something i have to work on daily, to bring myself back to the here & now and enjoy every moment. it's such a process!

i love that quote… such truth.

This is such a good thing to keep in mind. The 3 months since our wedding have flown and every once in a while I need to take a deep breath.

I love that quote and I completely agree with you about keeping it in mind — it's the best way to stay hungry for each coming day and inspired 😉
    xoxo
    Olivia

My head is always in the future. I am a big worrier, always thinking about what might happen.
    I am trying to focus on the present, but it's not that easy.

I used to be someone who clung to the past, but I managed to overcome most of that several years ago. Unfortunately, now I tend to be so focused on the future that I lose focus with the present. It is true that the present is the most overlooked, when it really shouldn't.

Good luck on fixing your mindset with the past, present, and future. Also, good luck to the ones who plan to embark on the same or similar goal to you.

This quote is perfect. I'm focusing too much on past failures and the fear that it may happen again. I need to focus and enjoy the present . Thanks for sharing, this was an eye opener :)

YES YES YES KRYSTEN!!!!! a sweet lady i know told me years ago, shortly before i went to college, "wheverever you are, be all there." i swear, that quote stuck with me and shaped my life. xo!

-vanessa-