Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived her second Hunger Games even though her home of District 12 has not.  Gale managed to escape along with her family but Peeta was captured by the Capitol.  And there really is a District 13 along with rebels, new leaders and a revolution is quickly unfolding.  It was part of the plan to have Katniss rescued from the arena and it has long been part of the plan that Katniss has been included in the revolution.  Everyone, it seems, has had a hand it working on the revolution that wants to over throw the Capitol – everyone but Katniss.  The success of the rebellion is now relying on Katniss’s willingness to be a pawn and Katniss is finding that doing this, becoming their Mockingjay, will come at great personal cost to her and possibly to everyone she loves.

I went into this book wondering what it was going to be like.  I’d been told by several people that it isn’t as good as the previous two.  It is true that this book has a different feel for it and I didn’t sink right into it like I did the first two.  It’s darker, harder and although death has been part of all three novels it seems like it is a frequent visitor in Mockingjay.  I found that this one took me longer to read and at times it did lag a bit.  However, I always say you know it’s a good book when you cry.  And I will tell you what, the last 50 pages had me bawling.  This book isn’t one that ends with a perfect happy ending.  In fact, I’d venture to say that this book is far more realistic than a lot of young adult novels.  These books aren’t meant ot  leave you with a sweet, happy feeling.  They’re meant to show you what happens with war and hunger and loss.  And while I definitely didn’t leave with a happy feeling, I did walk away thinking that I appreciated that the ending was realistic.  In war people do die, families are torn apart, and those left behind are changed.  And in Mockingjay that is what happens.  I may have walked away sad but I definitely appreciate what Suzanne Collins did and I would strongly recommend these books to ANYONE.  So get reading!

Comments

I like books that give you a true view on the subject and this sounds like a great read. Thanks,sweetie

Ps: I am hosting a beautiful Garnish party supplies GIVEAWAY later today :) Just in time for Valentine’s Day!

Yes, I definitely left that book thinking. Although I do LOVE my happy endings I think it's refreshing to have some realism (vs Twilight's 'fakeness' – and I don't mean the vampires). There were several surprises for me at the end of Mockingjay simply because I'm so used to fairy tale endings. A very good read!

i loved all these books. I have to thank you again for recommending them. While it was harder to get into the last one, I really enjoyed. I had no idea how it was going to end which was truly refreshing. It was sad, but I liked the realism. I think it really showed that sometimes even our best choices have consequences.

Loved it. Not my all time favorite (the first one was my fave), but I liked it better than Catching Fire.

Definitely had a sad factor.

I read your twitter comment about these and laughed out loud. You were so upset! And then my friends told me about the Hunger Games and I knew KNEW that I had to read them. I can't wait!

I didn't like it as much as the first 2 either but overall one of the best books I have read. I LOVED the series. I just read it early this month and am thinking of re-reading it already.

I totally cried reading Mockingjay. I was so shocked and confused during that scene near the end in the square with all the kids (you know the one I mean… I won't say anymore as I don't want to give anything away!)

I think one of the things that made me like this one less than the first two was the setting. I hated district 13, and how they were indoors and underground. I just had this sense of the artificial lighting and how awful it would be. Gave me an uneasy feeling the whole time.

I was satisfied with the end. It had a bit of happiness to it.

i liked the hunger games series.
    although i thought mockingjay was a little anti-climatic, if that's how suzanne collins felt it should be written, then who am i to question it?
    i'd recommend them too.

i was bawling too. and honestly i just didn't like this one. although i didn't have the same view as you at the end, as far as what the authors purpose was. in that sense i would say it's a job well done. i just hate it when books depress me like that… :/ i still love the first 2 though!