School

{via}

Wellll….

I was very accomplished yesterday, not only did I finish my business paper but I also got all of my MS Office homework done as well.  I wasn’t planning on doing so much work but I picked up a small shift at work today and a long shift tomorrow so I didn’t want to be scrambling to get everything done.  I’m pretty proud of my business paper (I wrote it on entrepreneurship and Etsy, blogging and graphic design) and I’m interested to see what my teacher has to say about it.  I turned it in early to get extra credit points so hopefully that’ll bring my grade from a high B to a low A.

I will tell you all this – I was never someone who cared that much about how good my grades were.  In high school I was amazing in some classes.  I pulled A’s from classes like speech, creative writing, political science and sociology.  But in some classes, such as anything involving math and chemistry, I was lucky to pass.  I was always much more interested in boys and friends than my grades.

Lucky for me I did well on my ACTs and got into college but once I was in college and discovered that no one cared if you showed up to class or not I ditched.  A lot.  Needless to day I did terrible in college and that trend continued, wasting lots of time and money.

The school I am with not is ridiculously expensive.  I am terrified of how long it’s going to take me to pay back my loans.  I’m not sure if it’s that or simply my change in attitude that has caused me to do so well this time around.  Either way, I am damn proud of how I’m doing.  And I’m hoping that once I have that degree I’ll be able to find a good job, something that I can be proud of.

I may not have taken a conventional route and maybe I’ll be paying for it for the rest of my life (goodness, though, I hope not) but this time around I’m proud of what I’m doing.  And come this time next year hopefully I’ll be right where I want to be.

Twitter :: Facebook

Comments

Oh, good for you! I love that you wrote your paper on Etsy, blogging and graphic design – if I were writing a paper on something I was actually passionate about I bet it might be quite enjoyable! It doesn't matter how long or what road you may take… you'll get there in the end :)

Congrats on doing so well in school! I have a TON of school loans that I will be paying for the next 30 years, but I try not to stress about it too much.
    I think it can be really hard finding that "perfect" job, even with a degree, but the important thing is to not give up. Each job will lead to a better job and eventually you'll find the perfect one.

Honestly, taking out loans is still a great option. After all, what's the alternative…not getting an education? I'm sure that I'll be paying back my college loans for many, many years – at the same time, it's nice to know that I have a better chance of getting a good job in the longrun. :)

The road doesn't matter as long as you have a clear destination. Go you for rocking school now. Loans are loans – the money is daunting at first but it gets repaid before you know it and it truly is an investment in your future!

Okay, that sounds like EXACTLY what I did. I went to college straight out of high school and totally blew it off. Not that I failed or anything, I just didn't really care about it. But then I went back as an adult and kicked ass. I got a 4.0 GPA as well. I don't know if that's because I was paying for it (or still am… and will be for a while) or because I was actually interested in learning at that point, but it totally worked for me the second time around.

I love this so much! You may not be doing things the conventional way, but everybody has a different life path! You know how important school is now and it's making you take it much more seriously. :)

And that paper sounds fascinating!

So awesome – I love your motivation right now! My student loans also scare me, but I know there's no way I could've gotten an education without them! I feel I wasted a lot of my college years too – luckily I also kind of got that 'second chance' and it made a huge difference in terms of getting a much better job :)

What a great feeling! I did the same thing in college, but I don't want to go back. I'll just have to work my way up the corporate ladder.

after all my schooling i'm about 100k in debt. but really, almost everyone i know who got higher educations are that much in debt. a couple years ago a friend of mine passed away from cancer. she was 25 and a newlywed. at that moment i decided that i was going to live my life and make good choices for myself, no matter how much debt i would rack up. so i quit my jobs and just focused on school.

as far as loans go, school loans are a really good form of debt to have. it's not like credit card debt where you just went nuts. an education is worth whatever you have to pay. and you'll find a way to pay it all back, don't worry.

and it's so awesome that you're doing so well this time around! YAY!!!

Blegh- I am going into nursing and basically every class I am taking right now is chemistry, biology, anatomy and every other science class. Luckily it hasn't been too bad so far- but man its stressful. Yay for you doing well in school! That is really such a great accomplishment!

I'm in the exact same boat, Krysten! I got my AA when I was 18 and was SO proud of myself. Now I'm 22, and I still haven't even been admitted into my major. I now have to transfer to a community college for one class because I can't take it at St. Cloud State. It's frustrating!! I'm proud of you, though. Stick with it, and soon we will get through!

Horray for getting so much work done today! I feel your pain about paying for school-my parents generously paid for my expensive undergrad education, but I took on my Masters program all on my own. You better believe I chose a graduated payment plan!

Good job, hun! Who cares if you do it the conventional way? As long as you're doing it and you're happy that is all that matters! Good for you!

Being proud, and more importantly PASSIONATE, about what you do will make everything so worth it in the end. I'm sending very good thoughts your way and I hope that your teacher will have lots of great things to say about your paper.

i totally understand. i went to a great school, but my student loans are SO insane… it'll probably take me forever to pay them back. YIKES. but, it really was worth it in the end. :)

good for you for stepping your school game up! i was the exact same. slacked in high school and then i paid my way through my first 2 years of community college which really made me appreciate it and put in more effort. keep it up – it's such a great feeling when you get to the end and get to wear the fancy honor cords… at least it was for me, since i didn't get to wear them in high school :).

hope you have a lovely weekend my dear!

xo
    Lauren

Ack!
    I'm a slacker toooooo! :)
    I seriously may not have studied for my finals, or gone to class as deligiently as I should have but I know I really need to step it up! And I'm trying!
    PS In high school I took 8 AP classes, and still slacked. Idk what that means, but I was definitely more interested in my friends!

I hate to put it this way: but the older we get, the more we care about grades…sigh…it was so much easier when the highlight of college was the beer chug on Friday night.

You should be VERY proud of yourself! You're doing so great in school. I think going back to school at a later age is incredibly worthwhile because you've had more life experience than an 18 year old just starting out. I always liked school, but now that I'm 30 and have gone back, it's a whole new ball game and I LOVE it. Good luck in the rest of your schooling! You're going to do great!