NaNoWriMo

For those who haven’t heard, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month and it runs through the month of November.  Basically, if you want to write a novel this is the down and dirty way to do it.  It’s 50,000 words in 30 days, which equals out to roughly 1667 words a day.

I found out about NaNo in October of 2008 and promptly signed up for the November 2008 session.  In junior high and high school I actually wrote two novels and I figured it couldn’t possibly be that hard, right?  Well 50,000 words in 30 days is something else and it takes dedication.  And I’m pretty proud of that fact that I reached that goal in both 2008 and 2009.

That being said, I have yet to go through and edit either of those novels.  And believe me, they need to be edited in the worst way.  But NaNoWriMo is not about editing, it’s about getting your story down on paper and not going back to fix things.

As any of you who follow me on Twitter or are friends with me on Facebook know, I’m a little worried about NaNo this year.  Between work and school and this lovely blog, not to mention keeping our house clean and spending time with friends and family I worry that maybe I won’t have time for 1667 words a day.  I tend to be a bit of a slacker at times, especially when I have a lot of other things going on.

This is where you all come in.  Who else is planning on doing NaNo this year?  If you are, you should find me (my username is Mrs.Hartie) and friend me.  Maybe together we can encourage each other to keep going even when writer’s block feel imminent or when those 1667 words a day just feel like too much.

In addition, I plan on doing a weekly update of my progress here.  And if I’m not where I need to be I expect all of you to get on me!  I need encouragement!

For any of you that aren’t sure, definitely try it.  I will tell you that at the end of 30 days when you have 50,000 (or more) words in front of you you feel INCREDIBLE.  Plus, it’s one step closer to maybe seeing your name in print.  And how cool would that be!?

Tweet tweet! See what I have to say on Twitter.
Like After ‘I Do’ on Facebook.

Comments

I'll be doing it this year! I dont think I'm following you on twitter, (yet) and I'm going to find you on NaNo. I'm psyched to get started, this is my first year doing it!

Krysten, girl, I don't know why you're stressing – you've done this before and you'll do it again; it's who you are.
    We'll all be here to give you a swift kick in the ass if you're slacking too… so don't worry about that!

It's always been a dream of mine to write a novel, but I must say thinking of that many words per day really intimidates me! I think the month before my wedding is probably not the best idea and may end up with me throwing my laptop out the window lol but I think I'll be on board NEXT NaNoWriMo. Good luck!! :)

Wow you wrote 2 novels in high school? That rocks! I'm doing the NaNo this year because I have a novel idea & started it but no motivation to work on it! Maybe this year but yeah I'm a lil skrimped on time too. Mornings & nights I guess? I'll be back to see people's comments cuz I need some help! Good luck dear!

Interesting idea. I plan to write a book someday but in 30 days? Whoa!! That is a lofty goal if you have any life other than writing! Good luck if you do attempt this again

wow that sounds like a great project..I would love to write but I can never pin point an idea…maybe I will toss some around this weekend and see what I come up with..i will keep you posted. Either way I hope you find the time to do this and I wish you luck!

I tried it for the first time last year but it was a total failure. I'm going to attempt to do it again, but probably not shooting for 50,000 words with my schedule as crazy as it is. I think I might halve it, or even make it just 10,000 words. But I think it'll be a good step in the right direction of finally WRITING my novel!

wow that is Definitely a lot of work! but also such an awesome way to get something so huge done. i always need deadlines and official projects to get me motivated. so go krysten!!! ra! ra! ra!!!

ps – i love your halloween costume idea! that is hilarious! are you going to have the poof?… :)

Wow, that is amazing in a very hard core sort of way!! Good for you for already completing 2 novels, that is fantastic!! I'm sure you can do it again, and we'll all be here cheering you on!!!

I know I couldn't dedicate my time to writing a novel right now but I really respect everyone who does, or even those who try! Good luck, hun!

I have always wanted to participate in the novel writing deal, but I just don't think I have 50k words to say, much less the patience.

Either way, Good luck and I hope you can get it done for a 3rd year in a row!

Awesome, good luck!! I'd love to do it but I know that realistically there is noooo way I'd have the time to write that much daily. Bah, real life! Can I retire now? 😉

Oh my goodness!

I'd completely forgotten about NaNoWriMo and how I planned to FINALLY participate this year.

I'm a little hesitant too, as I tend to want to fix things and fix things, and then tweak them a little more.

But if you're in, I'm in. We're all in this together! Support will help us succeed, even though I'm incredibly busy as well!

~Zabrinah