The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer

This short novella came about after the actress playing Bree Tanner in the movie Eclipse wanted a little background about the character she was playing. When Stephenie Meyer started Bree’s story she originally intended for it to be put into a book all about the Twilight saga. However, after the story began Stephenie realized that Bree’s story should stand alone and quickly this novella came to be.

The story is a sad one about Bree Tanner, a teen who got caught in the middle of the feud between the Cullen coven and Victoria. It begins when Bree is about 3 months old (in her vampire life). She is part of a renegade newborn group created by Victoria and maintained by Riley. Bree meets Diego, another newborn (although somewhat older than her at almost a year) who she immediately feels a sense of togetherness with. When Bree and Diego discover that they haven’t been told the whole truth about a vampire’s way of life or why they were created, they know something’s up and it isn’t good. In a few short days Bree’s short vampire life is turned upside down and she fights within herself to discover why exactly she was brought into the vampire world.

I have to say that like all the Twilight books I really enjoyed this one. Stephenie Meyer may not be the world’s best writer but she can spin a story and I always find her stories enjoyable. Bree Tanner is no different although I will say it was hard to read knowing the outcome. However, it was interesting to see what exactly had happened among the newborns. When I was reading Eclipse I remember thinking that it was kind of sad that these baby vampires were created to basically run into battle and it didn’t matter whether they “lived” or died. I found myself quickly becoming attached to Bree and I couldn’t help but think that I wish her outcome had been different, that the Cullens would have been able to save her in the end. Because I think Bree maybe could have made a good Cullen.

For anyone that has enjoyed the Twilight series, I’d definitely recommend this novella. It’s a really quick read with a different perspective. I definitely enjoyed it.

Comments

I didn't love this book. It was an interesting point of view and I was sad for Bree….I did want Bree and Diego to run away from it all but obviously that wasn't going to happen. SADS.

BUT…it just makes me want Midnight Sun more. I doubt it'll ever come to light but if it does, best believe I'm pre-ordering it. 😉

I agree. I was also glad that I read this before I saw the movie. I thought it gave good insight into what was going on with the newborns. Glad you liked it.

They used the actress for Bree that I wanted them to use for Jane. Sounds like an interesting one I'll take a look!

Although I think I like not knowing anything about the newborns.

Oh man, I loved it! And I was so glad that I read it before seeing Eclipse. I thought it gave such good insight… and who knew that she was telling Edward the nasty details about Jane… that was good to know!

i'm glad you liked it! i read the first few chapters on line and then got caught up in other things. maybe i should finish it.

I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed this book! And it was definitely the perfect read right before seeing Eclipse.

I so need to add this to my list! I felt so awful for her in the movie – and it only made me love the Cullens more that they tried to save her!

Like most have already said, but I will say again you are really good at these book reviews. I always have such a hard time explaining things!

I adored the Twilight books and will definately be checking this little gem out…great find and thanks for sharing!!!

xo Cat

Wow, I didn't even know this book existed! I'm one of those people who like the books much more than the movies (though the movies are fun too) so I'm excited to have a new book to add to my list. :)

(Found your blog through Diary of Lovely comments–just stopping by to say hello!)

Thanks for the great review! I can't wait to read this, but I think I have to wait for the library to have it in first. I'm interested to read the newborns' perspective on what was going on.

Just read this a few weeks ago, I also enjoyed it! I agree with you in the fact that she's not the world's best writer, but she does write stories that you can't help but want to read. It was neat getting the different perspective on things!