Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Shutter Island is an island off the coast of Massachusetts and it is also home to Ashcliffe Hospital, a place where the most violent of the criminally insane are sent. When one of those patients, Rachel Solando, goes missing Teddy Daniels and his partner Chuck Aule are sent to the island to investigate. However, as soon as they reach the island Teddy and Chuck find that there is more going on at Ashcliffe than just one missing patient. And caught between his grief over the death of his wife, Teddy has a hard time separating what is going on at Shutter Island and what happened to cause his wife’s death. Then, a hurricane hits and what happens next can only be described as psychological and thrilling. Will Teddy and Chuck make it off the island alive? And is there really more to Shutter Island than meets the eye?

Being someone that likes to read the book before seeing the movie, when I first saw previews for the movie Shutter Island I knew I had to get my hands on the book. While the previews for the movie looked downright scary, I had to say I didn’t find the book to be the normal definition of scary. I definitely, though, would agree with the term “psychological thriller.” This book was a super fast read for me, something I couldn’t put down and found myself thinking about when I wasn’t reading it. I’ll state again that I didn’t really find it scary but the ending was definitely a shocker for me. I’d say if you’re looking for a fast moving thriller that doesn’t quit, this book is definitely for you.

Comments

I'm one of those dorks that immediately wikipedias movies and spoils the ending for myself (only if I'm 100% sure I'm not going to see the movie), so I know the ending too… I wouldn't have thought it would end that way, so kinda shocking, but maybe kinda cliche too?

And I swear I am going to start working on my WIL Wednesday submission today!!!!!

You've sold me! I like to read the book before seeing the movie also. I feel like I'm always disappointed if I do it the other way around.

I had heard that the movie is more of a psychological thriller, so that would be right in line with what you said!

I think I might pick this up from Borders today. I need something new to read.

I had no clue that "Shutter Island" was even based on a book – I thought it was merely a standalone movie. I'm exactly like you…I must read the book before seeing the movie; therefore, I will definitely be checking this out ASAP! :)

i like reading books before seeing movies too and i had heard other people say this book was great. oh how i wish i had some more "reading for fun" time!

I think I would like the book – but I am TOTALLY not into scary movies. I will have nightmares for weeks after the fact. Hmmmm… now I might need to pick the book up!

I wish I'd known it was a book before I saw the movie! It did look really scary (and I'm a total girl when it comes to scary movies!), but I saw it anyway in the hope that it really would be more of a psychological thriller… and was thrilled that it kept me THOROUGHLY chilled without being scary. I thought it was brilliant :)

Okay…don't know anything about the actual post…ha ha. No thriller books for me!…but thanks for stopping by my place!
    I really like your happy yellow header, and the layout of your blog. It's really easy to find things and get to know you right off the bat. Very good!
    (I'm eventually going to copy you…we'll see how that goes, ha ha)

Have a great little Tuesday!

Ooh, were the movie and book a lot alike? I could probably never read the book or see the movie — I am SUCH a scaredy cat! xox

OOO this sounds like a good book. I have never read a book after watching the movie, i always do it the other way around. Hope the writing is going well! :)

10. Tiffany says

I really enjoyed this movie, but the ending was really sad for me (though I think that he made the decision to take control rather than relapse).

The preview was definitely very deceptive.

I'll definitely have to check out the book.

thanks so much! I kinda wanted to see the movie but I'm not into being scared out of my wits. I think I'll read the book and go from there…

One thing? Did it give you bad dreams? that's a deal breaker for me…

Wow, this sounds so interesting! I'm so glad you shared your thoughts with us, I will have to check it out. You are right, the preview looked so scary!!!

Hope you are having a great week! :):)
    *baci*
    Rachel

I decided to do the same – read the book before seeing the movie – and ended up loving the book so much, and hearing such terrible things about the movie, that I never ever saw it, ha! But the book was FANTASTIC.