Cruising

I recently had someone tell me that they would NEVER go on a cruise because they think it’s a HORRIBLE way to vacation. I was bummed! I’ve been on two cruises (one of which was my honeymoon) and I loved them both. For some reason, I think cruising gets a bad rep and I am here to set the record straight.

Here’s some wonderful info on cruising:

Cruise Lines: I myself have only used Carnival and was happy with both experiences. I’ve been on the Spirit (which was a Mexican Riviera cruise to Mazatlan, Ixtapa and Manzanillo) and the Conquest (which was a Western Caribbean cruise to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel). My parents have also been on a Royal Caribbean cruise, which can be more expensive but they said they really liked it.

Price: The cool thing about cruising is that it can be relatively inexpensive as far as vacations go. If you live somewhere near a port, such as Florida, Texas or California you don’t even have the airfare to pay. During my first cruise, I shared a room with my brother and it was an inside room, meaning no windows (which is the BEST for sleeping, I got such great sleep that way). Per person on a Carnival Cruise for an interior room can cost you around $500 (this is for a 6 to 9 day cruise). For my honeymoon, we opted for a balcony room, which can run around around $700 or a little higher. There are also ocean view rooms, which are between interior rooms and balcony or suites, which obviously are the most expensive. Keep in mind that on the boat is almost completely all inclusive. The only thing you pay for is alcohol and pop.

Food: The food on a cruise is RIDICULOUS. Their dining rooms serve food that would cost you a lot of money at a normal restaurant. And it’s all included. You can get an appetizer, entree, dessert and coffee and each course is amazing. On top of this, cruises have cafeteria style food, normally found on the lido deck (the same area as the pools) and this is food from all over, from Greek to American to Mexican and everything in between. And don’t even get me started on the dessert. Or the fact that there’s 24/7 pizza. And if you go, please do yourself a favor and get the chocolate melting cake. You’ll thank me, I promise.

Entertainment: One of the best things about cruising is the on board entertainment. They have so much going on that you will never be bored. There’s games and shows and prizes that can be won. From magicians to comedians to dance shows… and this stuff happens pretty much all day all over the boat. They have the big shows, which are generally in the main theater, to smaller shows located in various smaller rooms. And each area is GORGEOUS to look at. Not to mention that the crew in charge of entertainment is always around at the various pools doing silly things that keep you laughing. And there’s a casino AND a spa AND a gym AND mini gold AND a water slide. Yeah. Exactly.

Ports: Like I said, I’ve been to the Mexican Riviera and Western Caribbean. I find that the best thing about cruising is that it gives you a little taste about a certain place. I’ve found that I prefer places like Jamaica and Ixtapa over somewhere like Grand Cayman. And it’s nice to find that out in a day by going on a cruise than wasting an entire vacation somewhere that doesn’t fit your style. Generally, you get an entire day to spend at a port. The cruise offers excursions through the boat or you can set up your own.

Seasickness: I know that before my first cruise my main concern was what I had heard about seasickness. I don’t get motion sickness and I was fine on both cruises. You do find that the bigger the boat the less you notice the “motion of the ocean.” However, if the waters are choppy (or if you’re wearing heels and have been drinking) you’ll probably notice a little bit. However, during my first cruise I was with family that used the motion sickness patches and they were just fine. It’s definitely not as big of an issue as some have made it out to be.

Basically, what I’m saying is don’t knock it till you try it. And if you haven’t tried it and you’re looking for a vacation that is NEVER lacking in fun, try a cruise. They’re so much fun, at least I think so!

Comments

I haven't been on a cruise, but I would love to go! It sounds like there's always tons to do, amazing food, and great things to see. What else could you want in a vacation?!

THANK YOU for posting this! I am likely going to be able to be able to attend — as well as Matt and most of his family — a 2-week cruise through the Panama Canal, and I get motion sick from spinning in a desk chair… the more I read up about it though, the more excited I get! (Especially about the FOOD!)

I didn't realize it was so cheap!!! Might be a honeymoon option for next year since we live near a port (Cozumel).

Still, I've always been the kinda person who likes to really explore a place. Maybe that's why they never attracted me… only 1 day in each place? Not for me. Maybe I'll give in to the cheap food, though haha.

Thanks for the info :)

Um. NOT. Ok not that I would know personally, but my mom cruises all the time and after seeing all her pics and hearing her stories, I'm obsessed with the idea of going on one. This post definitely didn't help.

Luckily, you can cruise right out of my city now so I think we might try to go on one this summer!

Typically I get seasick, so I'm curious…do you think I would get seasick on a cruise, as well? Like, are they as rocky as a small boat (that's all I've been on so far). To me a cruise just sounds magical!! :)

umm hello I LOVE CRUISES! I went Royal Caribbean and it was awesome. Plus you have access to ice cream 24/7 too! ahhh you hit every good point. Basically, everyone needs to go on a cruise!

I agree! I went on a cruise in high school and I loved it. I would love it more now, as an adult. I love the fact of seeing many places, the food IS great, and entertainment never stops!

Glad you posted this!

I've only been on one cruise. I loved it, and I'd love to go again. BUT…and there is always a but, the whole gray water release into our oceans, does not make me happy.

I love cruises, however, I DO get seasick. I took so many motion sickness pills on my last cruise that I feel like I missed half the trip being all drowsy and what not.
    With that said, that was 10 years ago and I'm sure there have been some advancements in medicines since then.

I can't wait to go on another one. I'm trying to convince my hubby but I think he is leaning more towards Disney World and their cruises are just way too expensive.

Wow I have never heard of anyone NOT wanting to go on a cruise! Especially after not experiencing one 1st. Anywho thanks for the rundown but I am already convinced I should take one of these fabulouse vacations! :)

I don't know if I could ever get into cruises and I probably have the worst motion sickness ever documented. I guess I would try the Alaskan cruise, but that's probably where I'd draw the line. I do think they present a lovely opportunity, though, just not my cup of tea! xo

The thing I like most about cruises is that it allows you to see many different places and you don't have to waste your time travelling place to place. You wake up and you're somewhere different!

aw, i'm definitely the minority but i feel the same. i've been on one and never plan to go again. i'd just rather fly there and spend the money exploring than spending 95% of my time on the boat – i didn't find much to do there.

I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of cruises. I've been on a few, and while I agree that you get to see several locations, I just feel like there is never enough time in one port. But you have done an excellent job in highlighting the fabulous aspects of cruising…almost fabulous enough to make me want to go on another one!

Thank you so much for this post, Krysten! My mom and I are *dying* to go on a cruise this summer and we're looking into a short 3-day one to get our toes wet for. :)

My question is about the rooms. I know having a balcony-style room is better for the view. Does the inside rooms have a cramped feel? My mom and I aren't claustrophobic or anything but I do want to enjoy my room (not that I'll be in there much!)

I've been on two cruises…one to Alaska back in '01 and another to the Caribbean probably about 3 or 4 years later. My first experience was horrible. The weather was horrendous…the boat rocked so much and we couldn't even go on deck because it was too dangerous for the entire week. The wait staff also had a really hard time serving food and were falling all over the place. After that experience I swore I would never do it again until some good friends finally convinced me to give it another try. It was better, loved the weather and it was certainly an easy way to travel. Great job showing us how fun it can be :)

Thanks for that perspective! I've never been on a cruise but it's only because I've never had the opportunity. I'd never rule it out if I had the chance to go on a cruise.

Nick and I have never been on a cruise. We were in the process of booking one last September and then we ended up using our cruise money to move into a nicer apartment instead. Responsibility is so fun, y'all!

With that being said – I constantly keep an eye out for great cruise deals. We are planning to go on one ASAP and signing up for the TravelZoo.com weekly Top 20 vacation deals has been awesome in helping me monitor what type travel deals are on sale.

I've never been on a cruise but I'd love to. My only concern is being tied to a schedule once we hit port. It's the reason my best friend and I backpacked Europe instead of a bus tour, no committments.

I've heard from everyone who's gone that the amount of food they provide is just crazy!

I've only been "seasick" once (I put this in quotations b/c it was while crossing the English Channel) and at the time I would have chosen death instead. It must have been the juice I drank in Dover, because I know I wasn't drinking and wearing heels. :)

Anyway in short I'm open to a cruise; it's probably what we'll do on our next vacation as my wife's dying to go.

Thanks for stopping by to visit me. If you get a chance please do check out my first 'Free For All Friday' tomorrow. It's a side of life (and the world) that our society is rarely exposed to. It was an incredible experience to work with this person to arrange it.

Oh, and I took a quick read of your profile. Maybe Donnie Darko is just too cerebral for me, but unfortunately it went right over my head! :(

I agree with you on all levels. I LOVE cruises! The mister and I have been wanting to go on one together. Maybe next year since we'll be in Maui in A WEEK! :)

I've never been on a cruise, but I do get motion sickness! They sound positively wonderful though – seriously, everything you need is on the boat!

I would love to go on a cruise! As long as it stopped at really nice warm places though. Lol I have seen cruise ships come to NZ in the middle of winter and I just think why!

I've never been on a cruise, but my bf and I are planning on using our airmiles for one once we get enough..we're just over half way there now. woo :)

Who bitches about a cruise??

I mean, yes. If you get seasick, then it's probably not for you. Other than that, I don't get it.

I think every vacation is what you make it. If you want to stay on the boat, you can do that. If you want to go on excursions, you can do that, too!

If you get off the boat, you can go a little further into the country you're visiting rather than the regular tourist stuff.

It's up to you! WOO!

P.S. Plus, who doesn't like visiting the chocolate buffet at 4am?